Friday, June 4, 2010

Honorable mention in Nathan Bransford's contest!

Blogging agent extraordinaire Nathan Bransford hosted a writing contest this week. He challenged us to write a chase/action/suspense scene (500 words or less). He received over 300 entries! I told ya he's a popular guy. ;)

The prize was a critique of a partial (which would be fab), so I wanted in. Problem is, I write love stories, not action. In fact, I don't even read action or suspense, so I was starting out at a disadvantage. But hey, I wasn't going to win, so what harm was there in trying, right?

So I hammered out a scene over my lunch break and posted it. I was surprised at how good it turned out (in my humble opinion).

Results day today and voila! Nathan has chosen 5 finalists and 5 honorable mentions. Yours truly was in the honorable mention category! Woo Hoo! Happy dance of joy! :)

Click on the Cyndi Tefft link in his blog to see my entry! And thanks, Nathan, for the vote of confidence. I am so glad you liked it!

http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/06/finalists.html

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That was awesome! I got a nasty shiver there at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leah! It was fun to write it, but not as much fun as seeing my name on the screen when I checked the blog today. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Groovy!!!!

    Sue Z. Cue

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job, especially to bang it out that fast over lunch! I think this proves you have the gift.

    I think I read the 'suspense' part of Nathan's request too broadly, so I posted a segment that wasn't really appropriate. It was more supernatural than anything. I hope he might do a battle scene next time; then I might have a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ted. :) I'd like to have a love scene contest. However, since the majority of his readers are YA (based on a previous contest's entries), I doubt that's going to happen. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Cindy - keep going!

    Katharina Dend

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Melanie and Katharina. I appreciate your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete