Monday, August 9, 2010

From This Life to the Next

This weekend, our 14 year-old cat, Mow, had a stroke and we had to put her down. She'd become decrepit little by little over the years, so it wasn't a real shock. Still, it was very sad, mostly just to see her in such a difficult state. My 9 year-old daughter took it really hard. She'd been through it before with other pets, but this one was particularly tough for her. I think it was because she got to say goodbye to Mow, whereas the other pets died without her seeing them in tough shape beforehand.

Grief is hard. It's especially hard to watch your kids mourn.

I curled up on the bed with my daughter as she cried it out. I stroked her forehead and told her stories about the cat I had as a little girl, an orange cat I named Butterscotch and called Bubs. She slowly came around and even laughed at my animated retelling of how Grandma used to get all upset when Bubs would weave in and out of her fragile mementos on the mantle without ever touching them.

I can't say for sure, but I think the time I spent with her, working through those emotions, will be locked in her long-term memory. When she's grown with kids of her own, she may well remember this weekend and how her mom loved her. I certainly won't forget it.

Godspeed, Mow.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this. You're a good Mom. She will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost a cat I treasured dearly when I was small. I visited his grave every single day and always burst out in tears. I think it took me a whole six months before I stopped crying at least once a day for him. He had been my bestest friend, my only friend really.
    I felt better each night as my mom brought out the photo album and showed me pictures of me with him. She even let me keep a picture even though I was far from old enough to take care of it.
    I have a lot of problems with my mom that keep me from being close to her, but to this day I still remember the way she held me and helped me. Your daughter will remember too, for sure.

    I'm really sorry for your loss.:(

    ReplyDelete