Thursday, August 5, 2010

God is now following you on Twitter!

I received this email today: Michael J. Smith is now following you on Twitter! I did a double-take. I was thinking Michael W. Smith, the famous Christian music recording artist (who I'm sure is secretly following me on Twitter). It got me to thinking...

What if God followed me on Twitter? What would he think of my tweets?

I am truly shocked sometimes by the content of what is put out there (the swearing, the sexual references, the snarky attitude). You take the bad with the good, though, so I mostly ignore it. It's easy, I think, to get sucked into the relative anonymity of the Internet and to say (well, type) things you would never say to a person face-to-face.

My grandmother taught me at a very young age that you can't take back something you've said. Once it's out there, it's out there, so you'd better think before you speak. Wise words, and applicable all the more in this digital world where once it's out there, it is truly out there forever.

I like the idea of God following my tweets. It reminds me to be encouraging and use my words to build others up instead of tearing them down. Go and do likewise, my friend!

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd be judged by god because I swear. Jesus and God would both get a kick out of Twitter, I think, and Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a beautiful thought. a reminder to be who he expects us to be - to live up to his divinity.

    in my front entry hangs a sign "Christ is the Center of this home: A guest at every meal, a listener of every conversation"

    i think if more people remembered how much God is watching us, they might be more mindful of other's feelings and saying/doing the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is it you always pull me in over here Cyndi? I LOVE this post, rated you fabulous.

    "It's easy, I think, to get sucked into the relative anonymity of the Internet and to say (well, type) things you would never say to a person face-to-face."

    I have SAD, so that works for me. The anonymous feel of the internet is what enables me to speak to each other so well. So face-to-face? I would never speak unless I was spoken to, and that would be a nod if I can get away with it. I don't speak unless someone I feel secure with is in the room. If you manage to get me to speak, I won't say any more than one sentence.

    So the Internet is not where I cuss or do any of that. It's where I'm normal. And I like that.:) So yes, if God were following my Tweets, I don't think he'd have a problem.

    However my church reading my book, I do have a problem with. Not really church related...but that's another story for another tweet. In fact, make that a future post and I'd be back!LOL!^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very wise words! I know a few people that have regrets for some of the things they've posted in the past.

    God following Tweets...lol...That's funny. Reminds me of the film, Bruce Almighty with Jim carry. :) Gotta love that film!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was actually followed (and still might be) once by an account going by a name like The Eternal Holy God or something similar. You never know on Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post! I agree that there is a lot of negative content on the web, and I think some good old-fashioned niceties are unfortunately falling by the wayside. Good thing we have sweeties like you to remind us that there are wonderful folk out there, and that we can break the cycle.

    ReplyDelete