Saturday, November 20, 2010

NaNoReaMo update

I quickly realized that NaNoWriMo was not within my grasp, so I decided to buy a boatload of books and have a reading month instead. I've been streaming through them at a pretty decent clip, to be honest. Some have exceeded my expectations, others have fallen far short. I have had a couple of 4 stars, a 3 star, a 2 star and a 1 star that was so bad, I didn't finish it.

The one I just finished earned a 2 star, I'm sad to say. It started out well, but over the course of the book, continued to drop in my esteem until it barely eeked out 2 stars when all was said and done. Funny thing is, I'd say she was a skilled writer.

It was the story that sucked.

I've been noodling on that the last couple of days. This writer had a knack for a descriptive turn of phrase, her dialogue was believable, and the tension between her characters was palpable. However, I didn't really love any of the characters and ultimately, I didn't like the story. That's it.

I might really like something else she wrote.

I received a critique note on a contest a while back where the reviewer said I had "definite potential". I think this writer had definite potential as well. Maybe I should give her another try, and myself as well. Hmm... we'll see.

1 comment: