Sunday, May 13, 2012

In Which I Meet Kurt From England!

After sleeping in late (hey, I'm on vacation!), we headed off to Harrod's to see all there was to see. Now, I normally would consider Nordstrom's to be a pricey store, but Harrod's was off the charts. Dior, Armani, Chanel, Bulgari... Every ritsy name you can think of had a presence at Harrod's. I saw a diamond necklace, bracelet and earrings set for 2 million pounds. Eh, pocket change, right? I'm surprised alarms didn't go off just because I breathed on the glass case. *not worthy*
The pet section was hilarious, with pink jackets, jewel-studded collars and other such craziness. The children's clothing areas were adorable. I'm pretty sure Kate and William's little ones will be wearing those outfits someday (since they can afford them!). The real clincher for me was a pair of foam flip flops that looked just like the kind you'd find at Target or Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks. A pair of them marked with the Gucci label (under the sole of your foot, mind you) was priced at...

wait for it...

One hundred and thirty-five pounds!!

Yeah, Nordy's ain't looking half bad now. LOL I didn't check the tag on this guy, but I wanted to take him home anyway. Isn't he cute? :)
Next up was the British Museum, where we took in some unbelievably old (like 3000-4000 years old!) artifacts and statues from Egypt and Greece.
My favorites were these enormous horse guardians that framed an entryway. To think that these incredible works of art have survived over millenia just blows my mind.
But by far, the best part of the day was getting to meet Kurt Chambers, an author friend from Twitter. When Kurt and I first connected on Twitter, he introduced himself as "Kurt From England" to which I promptly replied, "I'm Cyndi From America." He has been Kurt From England to me ever since, and I didn't want to pass up the chance to meet him face to face. We met for a drink and had such a wonderful conversation, my throat is sore from talking and laughing so much.
Kurt is the author of the wonderful middle grade series Truth Teller. If you haven't already done so, go buy a copy! You can connect with his awesomeness on Twitter as well under emailmanROCKS. What a fantastic end to the day, laughing with friends over a pint. Life is good. :)



7 comments:

  1. Awwwwww! Cyndi, it was such a pleasure to meet you! <3 It was such a laugh! How weird seeing us together in a picture! :D

    Thanks for a lovely night! Can't wait for the next time :)

    Kurt from England hehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool to meet Kurt from England - and in England! Who'da thought?

    Harrod's and the museum in one day? Wow!

    As for the Crypt Cafe' that is just so wrong :( Icky. Icky. Icky. But at least you never have to eat alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cyndi you're so lucky! I want to meet Kurt in person SO BADLY! *sigh* One day I shall make it to England...yes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being totally terrified the first time I went into Harrods! The second time I actually bought something - think it was a tin of biscuits (that's only cus I wanted the harrods bag to walk around with! Will check out Kurt from England - as I am also in England :-) Glad you are having fun x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so lucky! Did you ask him for his autograph? You should have! He'll be famous some day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want the bear!!!! sings "If i had a million dollars" lol Glad your having a blast

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got lost in Harrods when my friend and I went to London the year before last. The place was HUGE. And didn't have the paths to the exits very clearly marked at all (ergo Alex getting lost and looking like a right lemon)
    The pet department had me in stitches though. The thought that there are dogs walking around better dressed than me was more than I could handle hehe.
    It is great that you are having such a good time. :) X

    ReplyDelete